Is Organic Virgin Coconut Oil Worth the Hype? A Comprehensive Review
Coconut Oil - A Brief History
Coconut oil has been around for more than 4000 years and has been used for cooking and in medicine for its healing properties. It was the main edible oil before World War 1 and was harvested by collecting the coconuts, dehusking them, removing the coconut water and then sun drying them to extract the natural oils. It was and still is a staple as far as native diets are concerned. Scientists also researched the several benefits of coconut oil for cooking in the later years and it was deemed as a heart-healthy oil.
Difference Between Organic Virgin Coconut Oil Vs Regular Coconut Oil
Refined coconut oil undergoes a number of processes including refining, bleaching and deodorising which make the oil fit for cooking and make it last longer. Also, it is not made from fresh or dried coconut meat. Refined oil also does not contain the same nutritional value as a lot of it is lost in the processing. However, organic virgin cold pressed coconut oil is unrefined and produced mechanically, without any chemicals. It also retains the natural coconut flavour and the antioxidants and nutrients. This is why many doctors recommend using virgin coconut oil for cooking.
Nutritional Value Of Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
Organic coconut oil, like any other oil, is a rich source of fats and is also calorie-rich. 1 tablespoon of coconut oil provides:
- Calories: 104
- Fat: 11.5g
- Saturated Fat: 9.6g
It is a good option for those who want to get high energy foods in their diet and also incorporate a healthy source of fats.
Health Benefits Of Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- Keeps heart healthy: Research suggests that almost 50% fats present in coconut oil are medium-chain triglycerides, which are easily utilised by the body to make energy. They are not involved in the transport of cholesterol.
- Lowers cholesterol: The fats present in organic virgin coconut oil are suggested to increase good cholesterol and decrease bad cholesterol levels in the body.
- Boosts immunity: It has antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties that helps stimulate the immune response within the body cells.
- Improves bone health: Cold pressed virgin coconut oil helps increase the ability of the body to absorb minerals such as calcium and magnesium, which are monumental in bone growth and development.
Uses Of Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
- Moisturise skin: Virgin coconut oil has a rich creamy texture and moisturising properties that keep your skin smooth and nourished throughout the day. It has been used to keep the skin soft and soothe it since ages and you can also experience the coconut oil extra virgin benefits for skin.
#ISayOrganicTip - You can apply virgin coconut pil directly to your skin, its moisturising qualities works wonders on dry and flaky skin.
- Protect skin from UV rays: Although coconut oil alone will not be able to protect your skin from sun damage, it contains several antioxidants and healing properties to keep your skin protected from the damage caused by UV rays and make your skin look youthful.
- Works as a natural deodorant: With its antibacterial properties, coconut oil can help reduce the growth of odour causing bacteria, especially in moist areas and hence acts as a natural deodorant.
- Best for oil pulling method: Oil pulling consists of swishing oil around in your mouth, and coconut oil is ideal because it is quickly absorbed and fights oral bacteria.
How To Add Virgin Coconut Oil In Your Daily Regime
- Use it in cooking: Coconut oil can be used in various dishes to saute vegetables, for roasting potatoes as well as in baking.
- Add it to your tea or coffee: You can add 1 tablespoon of virgin coconut oil to your coffee and reap the health benefits of this organic virgin oil.
- Use it in your skincare & haircare routine: Coconut oil for hair is also very beneficial as it helps protein loss in your hair and helps make them stronger. For the virgin coconut oil benefits for face, it has moisturising and antioxidant properties which make it an ideal addition to your skincare routine.
How To Choose The Best Quality Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
The best organic virgin coconut oil is one which is unrefined and made without the use of any chemicals. While buying organic coconut oil, you can make sure that it is made from fresh coconut and has not undergone any artificial processing such as high temperature heating or other chemicals. It is best to pick cold pressed coconut oil, which retains most of its nutrients and is completely natural.
I Say Organic brings you an amazing collection of organic products online to savour only the tastiest and the healthiest.
FAQs For Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
Is it okay to consume virgin coconut oil everyday?
Yes, you can consume organic coconut oil every day in moderate amounts.
How much coconut oil to consume in one day?
You should consume not more than two tablespoons of coconut oil per day.
Is it safe to use virgin coconut oil in cooking?
Yes, it is highly recommended to use virgin coconut oil while cooking vegetables.
How to store organic virgin coconut oil for a longer period of time?
Store it in a dark dry place to prevent its oxidation by sunlight. You can also refrigerate it to extend its shelf life.
Can I consume virgin coconut oil in the morning?
Yes, you can add one tbsp of coconut oil to your morning tea or coffee.
More Blogs To Read